Monday, September 6, 2010

65th Battle of Okinawa Anniversary
















65 years ago this year the Battle of Okinawa was fought. This was the last land battle of the Second World War. It also proved to be the bloodiest battle of the war. My Dad turned 19 just before he landed on the beaches of Okinawa. He had never shared much about his experiences until just the last few years. Being a "history nut" I constantly pick his brain for details. This past weekend I went home and Mary Dan and I presented him with a flag and certificate of appreciation for his service. The flag itself was flown over the Army post, Marine Base and Air Force Base on the island of Okinawa. The certificate was sent by the military recognizing his service and appreciation for defending our country at the battle of Okinawa. I want to thank him and let him know how proud I am of him. But not only Dad but all our service men and women who risk their lives everyday so we can enjoy the freedoms we most often take for granted. Your sacrifice is appreciated.










I also took Mom her 80th birthday present. It was an "old" football helmet from the "thirty's" that was signed by Colt McCoy. Mom is a huge longhorn fan. I want to wish her well on her birthday and hope I'm around when she celebrates 100! My parents are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment